Switch to full style
Using visualisers, remote control, ethernet-to-DMX devices and other devices with V2
Post a reply

Max Universes

Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:37 pm

How many universes is the Vista 2 capable to handle. What is it limited to???

regards
Beck

Re: Max Universes

Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:24 pm

There is no specific maximum although it depends on your channel license, which range from 1 to 16 universes. Newer dongles can be stacked to allow more than 16 universes but performance may be limited depending on the processing power of your computer / console.

A good way to expand the processing power and channel count is to add a D1 Processor http://jands.com/vista/vista-d1/ or another console to the network. Each D1 provides an additional 16 universes.

Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:04 pm

Thanks for the info. Also wanted to know, If I get a 16 X 512 = 8192 channels dongle, along with another dongle which is 32 X 512 = 16384 channels. Can I plug them both into the same console and have it as a 24576 channels in total??? So that gives me a total of 48 universes!!!

regards
Beck

Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:14 pm

beck wrote:If I get a 16 X 512 = 8192 channels dongle, along with another dongle which is 32 X 512 = 16384 channels. Can I plug them both into the same console and have it as a 24576 channels in total???
Only if they are the newer style dongles that allow stacking (also must be used with the new software version). Best to check with your dealer to ensure you get the newer dongle.

Whether the console will be able to process 48 universes properly will depend on the processing power in the console as well as the type of programming you ask of it.

Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:51 pm

and it sounds like your going to need help......lol :D :D :D :D

in which case I travel

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:18 pm

Have not seen a maximum limit yet. Robb Jibson is currently out with the biggest channel count I've seen with vista, he's utilizing 1x 8K USB dongle and 2x D1 with Fall Out Boy, for a maximum universe count of 48.

I've done testing with more than this (without the actual fixtures outside of a visualizer) up to 64 universes worth of output without any notable issues.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:48 am

Ok so the new dongles can stack...say I have one new and one old dongle. Can this combination be stacked? If not, is there a trade program in place so I can simply trade my old version dongle, for the new? When upgrading you pay the difference between the cost of the universe upgrade, so by that same model, if changing dongles old to new but no channel count change it would be doable for no cost. Correct?

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:01 am

Both dongles need to be new dongles to stack on the same machine. (old dongles can still be shared via a network)

There is a nominal fee for trade in of old for new (to cover the service and dongle cost) Best speak to your local dealer for the exact price

Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:51 am

theatre4jc wrote:Ok so the new dongles can stack...say I have one new and one old dongle. Can this combination be stacked?
no
If not, is there a trade program in place so I can simply trade my old version dongle, for the new?
yes

When upgrading you pay the difference between the cost of the universe upgrade, so by that same model, if changing dongles old to new but no channel count change it would be doable for no cost. Correct?
there is a small charge

also, if you upgrade your dongle, the new one will be one of the stackable ones
Post a reply