Switch to full style
Using visualisers, remote control, ethernet-to-DMX devices and other devices with V2
Post a reply

sACN or ArtNet

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:14 am

We're looking at setting up a backup solution in our venues and I was thinking of running sACN or ArtNet from the booth to our DMX splitter backstage. Is there a preference?

Thanks

Re: sACN or ArtNet

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:49 am

Depending on what hardware you have I would always choose sACN. It is much cleaner and lighter on the network. ArtNet is an older protocol that floods networks with data.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:02 pm

jroman wrote:Depending on what hardware you have I would always choose sACN. It is much cleaner and lighter on the network. ArtNet is an older protocol that floods networks with data.

Good info. So I have an eDMX Pro1 installed and working well as an Artnet node (dedicated PC, Vista 2.xx).On my connect universes page I show the UD512 and the eDMX Pro1 on port 1 and both show connected. If I then add an sACN broadcast via the “add broadcast port” window, it will appear in the DMX connections list, but on port 0 and the “connected” checkbox un-checked. How would I configure the system to utilize sACN vs. Artnet via the eDMX Pro?

Thank you

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:45 am

So here is my connect universes view. With sACN connected and prioritized, and no universe assigned to the eDMX Pro, am I controlling my networked lighting with sACN via the eDMX Pro? Is the software broadcasting both protocols on the network, or just sACN?
Attachments
224B2CF3-11A6-4C61-8F8C-3FB9B2027CA0.jpeg
224B2CF3-11A6-4C61-8F8C-3FB9B2027CA0.jpeg (36.68 KiB) Viewed 3365 times

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:44 am

I think the manual for the eDMX says it'll look like it's sending artnet even if it is sACN. Not sure if there's a way to tell for sure though

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:05 am

Drhodes wrote:I think the manual for the eDMX says it'll look like it's sending artnet even if it is sACN. Not sure if there's a way to tell for sure though

Thank you. Seems to be working flawlessly.
Post a reply