Jands Lighting
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:43 am

Audio - Improvements 
500+ Club
500+ Club

Post Audio - Improvements
Hi all, as assign audio has been released to the masses I thought I'd re-posted from the beta forum a summary of discussion on requested improvements related to Audio:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
So summing up the feedback on the audio functionality has been mentioned so far: <--- + a few extra ideas of my own

Audio needs to be able to be assigned to the cuelist (like timecode) with absolute time from start to finish
    so cues can have their own timing
      & be easily moved on the master (cuelist) timeline without impacting the discrete timings inside the cue
    an audio offset time is needed, so cues can be placed before song start

Keep the option to add audio to a specific cue.
      useful for situations like playing sound fx with lighting cues

A interface that allows the audio to be easily played through so cues can be placed to match.
      Byron's Learn timing interface is good, it could be addapted by adding with features such as:
        a button to add/insert cues
        a skip back (x) seconds, for when you just play pass the moment in the song where you wanted to add a cue
        a audio bar in the timeline view that can be twilled out to a larger view
    Question: Do you think "View cues in Layout mode" should be default once an Audio track is added ?

Question: Am i the only one thinking the cue scrollbar makes no sense once the audio is added? Do you think making the cue icon spacing proportional to the cue length would help?

In order to make moving around 5+ minute cuelists easier, update the cuelist navigation controls with features such as:
      a set of zoom control options like those from the fixture chooser/timeline that operate on the cue navigation section / cue scrollbar
      It may be worth replacing the cue scollbar with the audio waveform or at least overlaying them both
      a "sync all views to playhead" button that creates a mode where everything (cue navigator, cue scrollbar, timeline views etc) scrolls to follow the playback head

The graphical waveform display its self needs options such as:
      display height scaling, on my 1920x1200 display its pretty hard to see anything
        if the audio waveform was displayed in the area occupied by the cue scrollbar: the line directly underneath could be drag-able. the cue scrollbar/audio waveform scales height to occupy what ever space is set
      waveform scaling/shaping would be useful to increase the height of the peaks & troughs on soft or non-normalized tracks

Hardware mapping of audio control functions such as:
      IPCG mode should be I/Pos Colour Gobo Beam and add Audio
        The Audio page on the superplayback should have mapping such as
          audio volume encoder
          audio mute toggle button (with visual alert on monitor screen when mute preventing audio that is playing from outputting)
          audio playhead shuttle/jog wheel encoder
          skip back / Skip forward (x)seconds
          nudge / Move playhead slowly back / forward (useful for alining cues directly to snare cracks)
        Make an Audio Volume cuelist fader and Audio Mute cuelist button option.

Take everything mentioned above and make an awesome floating window :!: :!: :!: 8)

:idea: Please chime in with anything i've forgot. :idea:

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:02 am
    500+ Club
    500+ Club

Post Re: Audio - Improvements
    ScottBernoth wrote:
    Audio needs to be able to be assigned to the cuelist (like timecode) with absolute time from start to finish

Already done, (at least in the other beta)

ScottBernoth wrote:
    In order to make moving around 5+ minute cuelists easier, update the cuelist navigation controls with features such as:
    a set of zoom control options like those from the fixture chooser/timeline that operate on the cue navigation section / cue scrollbar

YES!!!! There isn't any way to zoom out and see the whole audio wave if there isn't a cue at the very end.

The other items I don't have an opinion on, yet. I'll play with it a bit in the next month and figure it out.

Technical Sales Support
    Jands/ChromaQ
    AC Lighting, Inc

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:07 am
    500+ Club
    500+ Club

+ 1 YES COME ON JANDS MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:03 am
    500+ Club
    500+ Club

( ZOOM IN AND OUT ), THE AUDIO WAVE IN THE TIMELINE PLEASE!!!!

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:53 pm
    Contributor
    Contributor

giancarlo wrote:
    ( ZOOM IN AND OUT ), THE AUDIO WAVE IN THE TIMELINE PLEASE!!!!

Wow, it's a little disappointing to see a 10 year old problem is still a problem today.

Adding audio is great to see the peaks on the waveforms to line up hits. But at first you're zoomed in too tight and the whole screen is 1 or 2 seconds. Now, 30 seconds in, things are getting too small to precisely line up anymore :(

It's such a simple feature, please factor this in!

Lighting Designer / Projection Designer / Audio Engineer

Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:50 am