Jands Lighting
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:00 am

color calibration 
Contributor
Contributor

Post color calibration
It would be great if there were a way (I guess it would be part of the fixture profile editor perhaps) that would allow you to calibrate the color picker to specific fixtures. Like if you're using LEDs from multiple manufacturers this would make color matching much easier once you went through the calibration steps.

I'm not quite sure how it would work - I suppose a bit like when you calibrate a touch screen monitor: The software would prompt you to make certain colors. Like it would show a deep orange on the screen and provide you with the RGB(AW) sliders for the fixture, and allow you to make adjustments until the real life fixture matches the color on screen as close as its physical properties will allow. Then it moves on to other colors around the wheel until the software can essentially interpolate between these points to determine the range of colors a fixture can produce, and in turn, allow the color picker to be as close as possible based on the fixtures physical limitations - and one step further - it could even draw the little gamut range shape for the selected fixture right on the color picker.

Then the gel color picker would actually work as well as possible regardless of the fixture you're using.

Sat May 11, 2013 7:00 am
500+ Club
500+ Club

Post Re: color calibration
That is a really cool idea! Not sure how feasible it is, but I love it.

Vista L5, I3, T4, T2, M1, and whatever else I can get my hands on.

Sat May 11, 2013 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Regular
Regular

I don't know how they coded the color output, but it shouldn't be a hard thing to implement (in theory). I can see a lot of very useful situations for this.

Jonesboro, AR

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:29 am
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I've thought about a feature like this before. In fact, I've almost brought it up before but I always catch myself and think:

"Why am I not using a preset?"

I think I'd rather see a feature that would allow me to set a preset as the home value for an individual fixture. Usually my problem comes with LEDs because white is always a little funny, especially with the cheaper LED fixtures. I'd like it if Jands would just remember what I want white to be.

I know that I've just watered your idea down a lot. Maybe I'm thinking too small!

Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:12 am
500+ Club
500+ Club

spendergrass wrote:
I think I'd rather see a feature that would allow me to set a preset as the home value for an individual fixture. Usually my problem comes with LEDs because white is always a little funny, especially with the cheaper LED fixtures. I'd like it if Jands would just remember what I want white to be.
Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but the latest release of Byron has added a "Home" preset. So if you enable it, when you press clear on your console will go to whatever you have set as home. For example, if you want to set a custom "white" to your led's, adjust the color to the color you want them to default to, then go to the color preset page, right click in a blank area and click "Update Home Preset"

Vista L5, I3, T4, T2, M1, and whatever else I can get my hands on.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:37 am
Profile WWW
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I did not know that... That's very helpful. Thank you!

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:13 am
Regular
Regular

I'll have to go look at the home preset. One thing I would like to see is a white balance setting. It's similar, I suppose, but it would be super helpful when you just need your LEDs to match your incandescent fixtures.

This would go along with getting Rosco as an option for gel colors. It would make my life a lot easier not having to set up those presets for every show.

Jonesboro, AR

Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:06 pm