Jands Lighting
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:09 pm

Add the ability to select network interface 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Add the ability to select network interface
It would be super fantastic to be able to select which network interface to use in Vista for Mac/Windows, rather than only using the system's default interface. I'm able to do this with Pathway's Pathport Manager (and in audioland, with Dante software).

This would allow users to have the Vista app connected to an explicit ArtNet/sACN network while simultaneously connecting to a separate control network (say, for VNC or network-MIDI remote control of Vista).

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:01 am
500+ Club
500+ Club

Post Re: Add the ability to select network interface
completely agree! would also like to include selecting ethernet port on the larger consoles that have 2 network ports like the L5.

Vista L5, I3, T4, T2, M1, and whatever else I can get my hands on.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:52 am
Profile WWW
500+ Club
500+ Club

I would like to bump this one. I am running Vista on a machine with dual NIC cards. ONe is a lighting network and one is the company network. I would really like to be able to keep from flooding the company network with artnet.

Technical Sales Support
Jands/ChromaQ
AC Lighting, Inc

Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:44 am
Regular
Regular

I've been asking for this for a while. It makes no sense that the software would try to push data over Wi-Fi when there is a Pathport node connected ad-hoc on the ethernet port.

Jonesboro, AR

Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:26 pm
Contributor
Contributor

+1, It's a bit cumbersome to turn off wifi every time I use the viz.

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:04 pm
Jands R&D
Jands R&D

You all should check out the 2.3 Public Beta, namely the network tab found in the user preferences :)

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:01 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Very cool that the network interface can now be selected in 2.3!

However! It doesn't seem to be working. There's not a good visual cue that the interface is actually being changed when you select one (it gets highlighted on selection, but going back into the modal doesn't show you which one is active).

I'm testing on a Mac, with en0 (the Ethernet port) wired to an sACN network (manual IP settings to match my lighting network topology), and WiFi with DHCP settings connected to an IT network (for remote access, software updates, etc).

Regardless of the network interface I choose in Vista Byron, if WiFi is enabled and set as the highest priority interface in Mac OS X preferences, sACN streams aren't being delivered.

If I disable the WiFi port, control begins to work. If I set the WiFi port to low priority in OS X preferences, the control works. (But of course in these two cases, routing doesn't work to the IT network).

I know the preference must be changing something, because the Art-Net Broadcast Address changes depending on which interface I choose in Vista Byron. Is the Art-Net Broadcast Address used for sACN as well?

Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:41 am
500+ Club
500+ Club

philipacamaniac wrote:
Very cool that the network interface can now be selected in 2.3!

However! It doesn't seem to be working. There's not a good visual cue that the interface is actually being changed when you select one (it gets highlighted on selection, but going back into the modal doesn't show you which one is active).

I'm testing on a Mac, with en0 (the Ethernet port) wired to an sACN network (manual IP settings to match my lighting network topology), and WiFi with DHCP settings connected to an IT network (for remote access, software updates, etc).

Regardless of the network interface I choose in Vista Byron, if WiFi is enabled and set as the highest priority interface in Mac OS X preferences, sACN streams aren't being delivered.

If I disable the WiFi port, control begins to work. If I set the WiFi port to low priority in OS X preferences, the control works. (But of course in these two cases, routing doesn't work to the IT network).

I know the preference must be changing something, because the Art-Net Broadcast Address changes depending on which interface I choose in Vista Byron. Is the Art-Net Broadcast Address used for sACN as well?
the network interface will only change AFTER you restart Vista.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:02 pm