Jands Lighting
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:28 pm

MIDI Gate 
Contributor
Contributor

Post MIDI Gate
Hi there, it would have been nice to be able to set the mode of the MIDI Cue play/release to gate as well as latch/toggle like it is now. I've written a small program for Processing that manipulates the MIDI data to get this behavior, but it has its caveats (if the cue is running, it will gate it off instead of on), and relies on a third party program which isn't very handy when using different consoles/computers.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:56 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: MIDI Gate
Magneson wrote:
Hi there, it would have been nice to be able to set the mode of the MIDI Cue play/release to gate as well as latch/toggle like it is now. I've written a small program for Processing that manipulates the MIDI data to get this behavior, but it has its caveats (if the cue is running, it will gate it off instead of on), and relies on a third party program which isn't very handy when using different consoles/computers.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'gating' in this context. What are you trying to acheive ?

Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Contributor
Contributor

Gate behavior from the button. Instead of triggering or latching the cue, it will only play as long as you hold the button down (like the flash buttons).

Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:21 pm
500+ Club
500+ Club

So almost like an temporary arm or enable button. So midi doesn't play (or whatever you have midi set to do for that cuelist) unless you are holding a button down on that cue-list? As soon as you release the button that list stops responding to midi?

Vista L5, I3, T4, T2, M1, and whatever else I can get my hands on.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Contributor
Contributor

No, the MIDI starts the cue when you press the controller button/pad, and then release the cue when you release the controller/pad.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:00 pm
500+ Club
500+ Club

Oh, your talking about midi control of the flash button. Sorry, I though you were talking about holding the flash button to enable midi.

Rumors have it that the flash button will be midi controllable in an upcoming software update.

Vista L5, I3, T4, T2, M1, and whatever else I can get my hands on.

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:08 am
Profile WWW
Jands R&D
Jands R&D

Rumours might be true, but they are just rumours....

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:06 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Great news (if it's true)! I had a longer test of the small MIDI modifier I wrote yesterday, and while it's working quite well, there is some noticeable lag, most likely because of the MIDI data getting routed a bit around before going in to Vista. I'm happy to report that it seems to work well from Vistas part as well. Granted, I've only had simple cues with "modifiers" in them (a few strobes, a few movement, a few colors, and a few chases), but stacking a lot of them works just fine. Very fun indeed!

Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:18 pm
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I get around this by creating cues with a release command in it, just 0.2 seconds after its triggered. This works as I am using MIDI to trigger strobes. The strobes are 10v analogue controlled via a DMX to analogue box I built, so just need a split second pulse.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Contributor
Contributor

More MIDI control beyond basic cue triggering would be very much appreciated. Most especially, MIDI tap tempo / MIDI clock in for FX sync!

Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:43 am
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

There is a hell of a lot that could be done.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:53 am
Profile WWW
Contributor
Contributor

I've used the release command trick before, but that won't hold the cue running as long as you hold the button. I've worked around it with a processing sketch, I would post it, but I'm not sure how Jands would feel about that (technically, it's just a modification of the midi signals going into Vista, so it doesn't break any license agreements).

It's really simple to write it as well with the midibus library, you just pass along the midi data from your controller, but add a second note on/off signal on the note off from the controller, and then use it on the midi play/release in the cue properties.

Expanded button control by midi is something I don't get why they don't allow for. It's not like Jands has a 8x8 pad controller in the market.

Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:03 pm
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

MIDI flash is a commonly asked for feature, I am sure it is around the corner.

You seem to know your MIDI controllers, is there anything out there that will light up when pressed, and then turn off when released or pressed again? Its great triggering cues from MIDI, but I don't always remember what is on. I guess the hard part is for it to know what has been released by another cue playing.

Steve

Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
Contributor
Contributor

That largely depends on the controllers capabilities, and how it's configured. On one of my controllers, which only has one color backlight, I set it in its own editor. There I can select the behavior of the pad/button (gate/toggle/trig) and it will light up accordingly. With newer multi-colored pad systems I think it is configured by routing midi back into the controller. Haven't tried this with a newer controller that I have since it is used for different stuff. Checking the manufacturers forum about this stuff is usually a good source for info, as manuals can be a bit lacking in this aspect - especially if it is a dedicated controller of some sort.

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:22 pm
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Which one do you currently use?

Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:04 am
Profile WWW