Jands Lighting
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:33 am

Pathport/Art-Net issues on Mac 
Regular
Regular

Post Pathport/Art-Net issues on Mac
I'm not sure if this is a Vista issue, but because other hardware/software I use works just fine in this configuration, I will assume it is.
I sometimes have an Art-Net or Pathport node hooked up to my Mac either directly or via a switch that ISN'T connected to the Internet. If I do this, and then try to connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi, I lose control of my lights. As soon as I kill Wi-Fi, it pops back to life. I have tried every last configuration in Network Settings, but the fact that none of it has been successful and all of my other show hardware is accessible in this configuration leads me to believe Vista isn't seeing something right. A lot of other software will solve this by offering a drop-down menu where you can select which interface you would like to use with which connection.

Jonesboro, AR

Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:39 pm
Jands R&D
Jands R&D

Post Re: Pathport/Art-Net issues on Mac
Hi Evan,
It is not recommended that you run multiple networks with Byron. That being said we are implementing an option soon to allow users to change which subnet data will be broadcast on which may help your case.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:30 pm
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Peter,

Question about running multiple networks. What if coming out of a T2 into a switch, then from the switch one line goes to the Artnet nodes and the other connects to a wired network? I guess it could be the same situation coming from a computer as well. Would that cause issues as well?

L5, S3, M1 and two S1s

Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:54 am
Jands R&D
Jands R&D

In that example all should be ok. What I meant is multiple network interfaces (such as wifi+lan) on the one machine (be it a pc/mac/console).

As you pointed out, Byron is only designed to send data to one network interface and it may get confused if multiple are present.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:57 am
500+ Club
500+ Club

theatre4jc wrote:
Peter,

Question about running multiple networks. What if coming out of a T2 into a switch, then from the switch one line goes to the Artnet nodes and the other connects to a wired network? I guess it could be the same situation coming from a computer as well. Would that cause issues as well?
This is similar to what i have, sort of. My ethernet line comes out of my console to a network switch. Also connected to that switch is another switch feeding a VLAN to me. On that VLAN is our staff network, including internet and everything else you would expect on a network. The idea is that it keeps my lighting all off the staff network, but lets my computers inside access the outside if i needed to. From a computer on my VLAN (say my tracking backup mac mini for example) I have the wireless turned off and my hardwired ethernet port has a 2.10.xxx.xxx address to work with all my artnet stuff, i can still get to the internet as well, just through the vlan without changing any settings. I can be running vista on that mac and surfing the internet at the same time without any issues. Now, i don't sit there surfing the internet, that is just not wise.. but it all works just fine.

Evan, if you have to have your computers online.. that would be a great way to do it. We have done it like this for a few years, and we have 40+ universes of outputs running (obviously not all full, but saying, we are loading the network down a little bit) and it all works perfectly.

Vista L5, I3, T4, T2, M1, and whatever else I can get my hands on.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:24 am
Profile WWW