Jands Lighting
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:14 am

Sidebar Shortcuts in 2.3 
500+ Club
500+ Club

Post Sidebar Shortcuts in 2.3
I am loving the ability to have different tabs in the side bar, especially in 2.3. I have the Custom Feature Browser, Smart FX, Features, and Components tabs. One thing i would live to would be to have a shortcuts for each of the tabs. In my mind the perfect solution would be just the numbers (1 for tab 1, 2 for tab 2, ect.) I would also love to be able to arrange the tabs in a specific way. Currently they are fixed in a specific order. Now, i know you can do Ctrl+1 for Features, Ctrl + 2 Components, Ctrl+3 for Smart FX, but if all things that could be in the sidebar could have a shortcut that would help make programing even faster. I would also love not to have to hit Ctrl+#. I know if you have the command line open, you can't just hit a number, but if the command line is closed, it would be killer to just use the numbers for the tabs.

My fingers normally rest on the f1-f4 keys when i am programing and jumping around between different windows, so to have another set of shortcuts right below would be killer.

Just a thought.

Vista L5, I3, T4, T2, M1, and whatever else I can get my hands on.

Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:56 am
Profile WWW
Jands R&D
Jands R&D

Post Re: Sidebar Shortcuts in 2.3
Jared,
It actually is already possible to re-arrange them by undocking and redocking (drag don't double click) the one you want first.
I'd say it might be possible for us to add ctrl+# for the rest of the tabs, but we wouldn't be able to do just the number as number is used widely in the software, not just command line.

What you could do is get a set of programmable keys that would let you put the ctrl+# on a single button. X-Keys are quite popular in the industry http://xkeys.com/XkeysKeyboards/index.php There are also other manufacturers who make programmable keys, but I'm not sure if any else have it in the compact strip format like the X-Keys sticks.

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:01 pm
500+ Club
500+ Club

The x-keys are a good idea. We use them in other places but I had not thought about for this. Can I use them on a Linux console (L5)?

That would be very helpful to at least add a CTRL+# for all the tabs. That would allow something like the x-keys to work.

That does bring up another thought, I wish we could write macro's within the software and be able to assign them to a physical button. So you could write a macro then in console view add a new tab for macro's and be able to drag them to a physical console button just like a play or pause button.

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Jands R&D
Jands R&D

As far as I'm aware, as long as you program the x-keys on windows, it should work, you will just have to check the the ctrl can be held while the number is also sent.

What macro's would you want to write?

Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:29 pm
500+ Club
500+ Club

Post Re: Sidebar Shortcuts in 2.3 - Macro's
I run across different things at different times. Off the top of my head a few things like:

Update macro:
If i change some lights, an update macro that would update the current cue playing on the selected cuelist. Yes, you can do update or store part, but there are several steps to each of these. But when programing if i could just run a macro that opens the update window, makes the selections needed to update the current cue and close the box that would be awesome.

Renumber macro:
I am editing a cuelist, but have added cues and copied cues so the numbers need to be set. I have to press renumber cues (which i have on an F-key to speed up the process a little) select auto then okay.

Cuelist properties:
A macro that sets up auto play & Release on a cuelist. I don't want this setup to be my show default, but it could save several steps.

I would love to set up a programing layout that has just a section of macro's do do things. Just a couple quick examples. I could also use the X-keys to fire a macro's if possible. It would be cool to write macro's that open dialogue boxes, make selections and close it. It's all about speeding up programing.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:57 am
Profile WWW
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

+1 on the macros. I'd love a macro recorder that you could do anything and save it as a macro.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:29 pm
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

+1 on all of this. :)

Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:02 am
Regular
Regular

+1 on the macros

Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:09 am
500+ Club
500+ Club

Oh, another thing i want macro's for (or some other way of changing) is different display configurations and layouts (what is on each screen, how they are laid out, ect) as well as a way to have a button push for different fixture layout tabs and a button push for Q-view on/off.

Fri May 01, 2015 10:45 am
Profile WWW
Contributor
Contributor

+1 For macros.
About the idea for the " Update" macro. I'm wondering if a double Click on "Update" instead of pressing "update" and then "Enter" would be a better option ?

Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:27 am