Jands Lighting
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:21 pm

Vista V3 Wishlist / Suggestions 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Vista V3 Wishlist / Suggestions
Hello everyone! 8)

I've been a Jands Vista L5 user for a little over a year now, and based on my personal experience, here are some suggestions that I think would greatly improve the user experience and power of the Vista Software.

(These are not in any particular order fyi)
1. 'Insert Command' Improvements

The insert command feature in Vista is very useful, however, it is held back by its limited range of commands.

One thing that would help many users including myself is the ability to reference a master instead of specifically choosing a cuelist for a command to be executed on. For example, you could set up a cue that when triggered, would enable timecode for whatever cuelist is assigned to a master.
To reference the master from the 'insert command' window, you could simply tap the 'select' button of the master you want to use.

The reasoning behind this idea is simple. I work in a church environment, where each week we have a different set of worship songs. The songs are placed into the same master slots every week. Instead of having to update my cue that makes sure timecode is enabled for each song (referencing each song cuelist specifically), I could simply reference those master slots.

2. Cuelist Priority Expressed as a Decimal.

This one is pretty self explanatory. Priority should be expressed as a decimal (except for programmer priority). This can be useful in complex shows, where many cuelists are playing at the same time.

For an example of this, check out the Hog4 PC software. The priority of a cuelist can be assigned as any decimal number, with a larger number being a higher priority.

3. Fix fixture icon pixelation.

Fixture icons look really pixelated and blurry, even on the L5. Please do something about this!

4. Let us use the both ethernet ports on the L5 simultaneously.

Jands, you literally advertised the L5 as having two ethernet ports, yet only one can be used. Seriously!??? We should be able to output sACN and Artnet on both ports.

5. Remote Control Vista via OSC.

I realize this one is complicated, but it would be great to remotely control Vista through OSC.

Again, Hog4 is a great example of this. Through the TouchOSC app, I can control the console via my iPad.

6. The ability to save window layouts.

Maybe this one is just me, but my window layout never saves when I restart my L5. I'm running the latest software version (2.3).

7. More icons

The current default pool of icons is lackluster, and low res. Maybe create some more useful icons? No Jands, I'm never going to use the shopping cart icon, or any of the 7 different iPod icon variants.

8. Add a 'stop FX' button to the SmartFX window.

I could stop an FX from the tools tab, or the features window, but why isn't there an option to do this easily from the SmartFX window itself?

9. Real world units instead of percentage.

It would be useful to see position as degrees instead of percentage. Another great example of this is color temperature mixing. I have no idea what the exact color temperature of my MH6 CT front wash fixtures are, because Vista doesn't express it in Kelvin.

Once again, take a look at Hog4 to see this done right.

--

Thanks for taking the time to read! I'll reply to this thread if I think of anything else. 8) :D

Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post Re: Vista V3 Wishlist / Suggestions
Another thing I'd add to the "Insert Command" wishlist that I've always thought was weird.

Open a cuelist, go to a cue, open the insert command dialog, insert a command, and then while the dialog is still open go to a different cue, and insert another command.

Doing this, inserts a command into the first cue you had selected. It would save a ton of time to be able to leave the dialog open and insert commands into the currently selected/playing cue. I often trigger other cuelists from my main cuelist (like triggering a house list from the main list) and I'd love to be able to go to the first cue, open the insert command dialog, select "Jump" my house list, the cue, hit insert and then go through the cuelist inserting different cues all at once.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:39 am
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

I would add in having the playback buttons remembering the custom buttons. Currently every time the console app is closed the buttons reset. I like to use the Pause playback button. Every time the app closes I have to go add them back in.

L5, S3, M1 and two S1s

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:19 am
Contributor
Contributor

A simple request for insert commands: add a hotkey! When you have a workflow that demands several commands across many cues, a hotkey to bring up the insert command dialogue would make that go faster.

Per-fixture release time overrides would also be a game changer. Unless I’ve missed something, there doesn’t seem to be a way to have media server fixtures have a release time of 0 (unless you set the live or cuelist release time to 0). A media server cycling through every media from current value to 0 is never the desired behavior.

EDIT: Upon further investigation, the behavior I was hitting was a malformed fixture type (I'm looking at you, ProPresenter 6 fixture definition). BUT, per-fixture release times would still be useful.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:17 am
Regular
Regular

Or allow Art-NET IN on LAN Port 2 like MA.

And don't forget RDM Support! And more midi support!

And fixing simple things like the quirks in the Fx engine and dragging items onto consoles and basically all the known issues that haven't been resolved. I like vista and would like to stick with it but ma is starting to call louder.

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:35 pm
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

+1 for Insert commands. Would love a "Select cuelist" command so I could have it automatically change my superplaybacks to control the cuelist.

+1 for RDM!

Vista, California
www.northcoastchurch.com

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:32 am
Profile WWW
Contributor
Contributor

Competitively priced hardware with reasonably good build quality.

Wed May 30, 2018 1:54 am
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

RobMerow wrote:
Competitively priced hardware with reasonably good build quality.

+1

Thu May 31, 2018 9:45 pm
Registered
Registered

I have been using Vista since V1 and it has been an interesting journey, however, vista in its current state is nearly unusable for more than the most simple cuelists in my opinion. My consoles of choice are Ma2, Hog4, and vista in that order. I have created a list of the most important things that I would like to add to your list.

1. FX are impossible to kill. This has been an issue for a while and I have always made sure the consoles I use are up to date, but most of the time when I check the enable/disable fx box, it does not work. Sometimes even the shortcut softkey to stop all FX doesn't work either and the only way to stop the FX is to release fixtures. Incredibly annoying to deal with when running multiple FX in one cue.

2. Playback functionality/Button assignment needs a ton of work, specifically, I would like to see a playback window that is more touchscreen friendly, instead of just being used to assign content to the console. It would be nice to have a window that has a grid large buttons that can trigger cuelists. Additionally, there needs to be more assignable playback functions to buttons and faders. The last thing for this category is speed/size groups or batches that allows you to group together cuelists and have one master fader controlling the FX rates/size.

3. Macros are not a lot to ask for. Every major console has them. It's just crucial for efficient workflow, even though it is not a command line based software. Going along with vistas "volunteer friendly" approach, it could be a blockchain type of editor where you drag and drop functions.

4. Presets are a pain to organize and rearrange. Again, your workflow is very important for efficient programming and the preset windows should be made up of a grid of tiles that you can move/copy/paste just like every other real console.

5. Midi Support is less important to me on this list, but it is the principle that is bothersome. Jands restricts the midi support so users are not able to use midi surfaces instead of their consoles. They should be motivated to improve their consoles so people actually want to use them, instead of being stuck using them. Jands prices for their dongles are right up at the top of the list and cost about the same as ma2 nodes, so they should not restrict customers to their expensive, unimpressive hardware.

6. Tying into midi support is their current hardware issues :( . We need to see some ergonomic consoles; something that doesn't hurt your back to try and avoid the screen glare from the house lights. Also, I have split my finger wide open on an i3 before because of the horrible sharp edges, ironically around the holes where you lift the console. I have joked with colleagues that I can rest both of my arms and hands fully on the console without pressing any buttons because every button and fader is so spaced out. Also, any new hardware without motorized faders is unacceptable.

I don't know any good lighting designers that prefer to use Vista. I hope V3 does all of the above and more because most of the churches and schools that had vista's for the "user-friendly" programming have switched to dot2 now. This whole post may seem harsh to the Vista lovers, but honestly, Vista will not last much longer if they take V2, reskin it and call it V3.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:10 am
Profile WWW
Contributor
Contributor

I would suggest to anyone who hasn't done so already to wander over to Chroma-Q's website...

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:12 am
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

RobMerow wrote:
I would suggest to anyone who hasn't done so already to wander over to Chroma-Q's website...

Looks about like I'm jumping off the vista ship at the right time. Sorry guys, but vista 2.3 was where everything went downhill for me. I just can't rely on the hardware and buggy software anymore, and the whole "volunteer friendly" interface has given me way more issues with volunteers that other more complex software... "The lights aren't working" "Clear the live tab" "Oh, it's good now" || "Nothing will turn on" "Push the live fader up?" "Oh...yep thanks" These conversations happen wayyyy too often and it baffles me, because it seems like the easiest most obvious thing. Don't tell me, though, that those same issues haven't caught you up in the past. With your 10+ years of lighting experience.

</rant>

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:28 am