Jands Lighting
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:12 am

Color Temperature and Arri LED light fixtures 
Registered
Registered

Post Color Temperature and Arri LED light fixtures
I'm interested in buying this board for our corporate TV studio but am not very familiar with lighting controllers. So I need your help to justify this purchase to management. I have several TV light-related questions I hope you can help answer. I want to be detailed and accurate, so I'm sorry this is so long!

1. How does the Stage CL set color temperature? For example, if I need to set my lights to 3200K, how can I set that with this board? Is there any type of readout or setting on the LCD screen?

2. How can I switch modes on the fixture between color temperature adjustment (CCT mode) and color (HSI) mode? The fixtures we are buying are Arri L7-C and Arri L5-C LED light fixtures. I like the idea of using a rotary dial on the Stage CL instead of using a fader to adjust colors. But, since each of these Arri lights can do both color temperature or colors, depending upon which mode they are in, how would I be able to switch between color temperature mode and HSI control on this fixture (assuming they both use the rotary dial for adjusting the parameter)? BTW, you press the FUNCT button on the fixture itself to switch between these modes, but I want to avoid having to get on a ladder to do that if possible.

3. Is there a fixture patch built already for the Arri LED lights? (L7-C and L5-C) or would I have to create one from scratch? How about for the KinoFlo Celeb 201 LED light fixture?

4. Lastly, how well will this controller control the Arri LED light parameters? These lights are 16bit and RDM capable. The Arri's have 15 different preset DMX profiles you can set for them. Are the adjustments fine enough (isn't this an 8 bit controller?) and will this controller be able to access and manipulate most if not all of the features of the Arri light fixtures? I'm looking for balance in a controller that is simple enough to use and robust enough to adjust the parameters of the Arri LED lights, as well as our other KinoFlo LED and standard DMX fixtures. I need great setup capabilities more so than playback capabilities, as we will never change the scene during a production shoot but we may need to make many adjustments prior to shooting. Does that make sense? Light setup is key!

Thank you in advance for all your help with these questions!

Wed May 04, 2016 8:03 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Color Temperature and Arri LED light fixtures
kevindermody wrote:
1. How does the Stage CL set color temperature? For example, if I need to set my lights to 3200K, how can I set that with this board? Is there any type of readout or setting on the LCD screen?

2. How can I switch modes on the fixture between color temperature adjustment (CCT mode) and color (HSI) mode? The fixtures we are buying are Arri L7-C and Arri L5-C LED light fixtures. I like the idea of using a rotary dial on the Stage CL instead of using a fader to adjust colors. But, since each of these Arri lights can do both color temperature or colors, depending upon which mode they are in, how would I be able to switch between color temperature mode and HSI control on this fixture (assuming they both use the rotary dial for adjusting the parameter)? BTW, you press the FUNCT button on the fixture itself to switch between these modes, but I want to avoid having to get on a ladder to do that if possible.

3. Is there a fixture patch built already for the Arri LED lights? (L7-C and L5-C) or would I have to create one from scratch? How about for the KinoFlo Celeb 201 LED light fixture?

4. Lastly, how well will this controller control the Arri LED light parameters? These lights are 16bit and RDM capable. The Arri's have 15 different preset DMX profiles you can set for them. Are the adjustments fine enough (isn't this an 8 bit controller?) and will this controller be able to access and manipulate most if not all of the features of the Arri light fixtures? I'm looking for balance in a controller that is simple enough to use and robust enough to adjust the parameters of the Arri LED lights, as well as our other KinoFlo LED and standard DMX fixtures. I need great setup capabilities more so than playback capabilities, as we will never change the scene during a production shoot but we may need to make many adjustments prior to shooting. Does that make sense? Light setup is key!

Thank you in advance for all your help with these questions!

I don't have access to the fixtures you are using but based on the DMX info Arri supply:

1. The Stage CL will only give you a readout of the DMX output level as you adjust a dial but you can calculate the DMX output value required to generate a given Colour Temperature. This question came up with one of our customers who is using Arri Skypanels in a studio and Arri technical support supplied an Excel widget that shows the DMX value for a given CT.

2. There's no DMX channel that will switch the fixture from one mode to another. But from what I can see there are modes that allow you to use either colour or white only. I think the best mode to use would be Mode 11 (White + RGBW). In this mode Stage CL's dials will control RGBW and by holding shift the dials will control the CT and GN saturation channels.

3. The LC7-CL (all modes) is in the console library. All the LC Colour models have the same DMX characteristics.

4. Stage CL will control 16bit features but the control dials are stepped so there is a limitation on precision. The console also uses an algorithm to mix White LEDs with RGB LEDs and while there are touch screen sliders that can be used for individual adjustments of the RGB levels there isn't a slider for the White. That said it might not matter for you because you can make it so either only the white LEDs are used for pure white or all 4 LEDs (RGBW) are used. This is a console preference so you could switch it (or adjust anywhere between the 2 settings) depending on whether you want color temperature or colours.

Hope this helps, if you advise where you are based I'll see if we can arrange a demo.

David Mulholland
JANDS Pty Limited

Thu May 05, 2016 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
Registered
Registered

Post Re: Color Temperature and Arri LED light fixtures
Thank you very much for your detailed reply! That is very helpful.

I am located in Orlando, FL in the US. If there is a dealer in this area that can demo the product, please let me know!

Thanks again for all your help.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:16 am